The Leader in Pro Bass Fishing News!
Facebook Twitter

First-time Ozarks visitor takes lead in Open

First-time Ozarks visitor takes lead in Open

OSAGE BEACH, Mo. – No one’s calling Jamie Bruce a fibber, but for a guy who claims to be making his first visit to Lake of the Ozarks, he sure isn’t acting like it.

After placing fourth with an opening-round limit of 18 pounds, 9 ounces, the resident of Kenora, Ontario, added 16-13 and led Day 2 of the Open at Lake of the Ozarks with 35-06.

Bruce heads into the final round with a 1-ounce lead over Kyle Patrick of Cooperstown, N.Y.

“This lake is a lot of fun,” Bruce said. “I can catch more largemouth in a day than I can catch in a week in Canada.”

The first day of competition saw Bruce delivering the goods on the locally favored tactic of dock skipping – something he had never done in a tournament. Day 2 required adjustments, but Bruce made the right decisions and secured his second Top-10 of the season. He also had a third-place finish at the St. Lawrence River.

“Yesterday, all of my fish were on the backs of the docks, but today, they were out deeper,” Bruce said. “I had one good stretch that I can get a good bite on, and I’ve been lucky enough to get that bite early enough to clue me in.

“That’s the only spot I can go to and (definitely) catch a fish. Then I just take that and fish a bunch of new water.”

After giving the dock bite a good look, Bruce determined that deeper brush was the day’s preference. Some of the brush was located near docks, while others were free-standing in deeper water. Long points were one of Bruce’s most productive scenarios.

Bruce caught all of his bass on a homemade 3/4-ounce jig with a green pumpkin Z-Man Turbo CrawZ. The heavier weight, he said, boosted his efficiency.

“I can fish that jig faster,” Bruce said. “When you really don’t know where you’re going, efficiency and speed are key.”

After a good start, Bruce experienced a mechanical issue that limited his day.

“I had a battery go down at 1 o’clock today and I had about 15 pounds,” Bruce said. “I went and changed it out. By the time I did that, I was way back down the lake and I underestimated the boat traffic out there.

“I couldn’t run back up to where I was (before the battery issue), so I fished down here, ran the same pattern and caught a few more quality fish.”
Bruce caught all of his fish on a 7-foot, 3-inch medium-heavy 13 Fishing Envy rod with 20-pound fluorocarbon. He chose his tackle based on his personal style.

“I like to swing really hard, so I have to gear it down a little bit instead of using a pool cue,” Bruce said. “I wanted to go to 25-pound line in practice, but I couldn’t skip good enough, so I’ve been sticking with 20-pound, and I boat flipped every one of my fish.”

Patrick turned in a Day-1 limit of 19-15 and backed that up with a second-round catch that weighed 15-06. Starting Day 2 with a ton of momentum, Patrick’s morning began with an equipment mishap.

“While I was running to my first spot, I threw a prop ear,” Patrick said. “I went to the shore and tried to use my prop wrench to get it off, but it was too tight. The Mercury service crew was able to help me.

“I burned about 45 minutes, and I was a little worried. I felt a little rushed, but I knew that if I just settled down and (fished diligently) I could get some keeper bites.”

As fortune would have it, Patrick experienced a mid-morning flurry that delivered all of his weight in less than an hour. A 3/4-ounce football jig with a Missile Baits Chunky D trailer earned all of his bites.

“I had three small fish around 11 a.m. when I pulled into a creek near the takeoff, and in like 45 minutes, I got all my weight,” Patrick said. “Yesterday, when my jig was falling, they would really chase it. Today, they were more lethargic and they bit when I was dragging my jig across the bottom.”

Andrew Hargrove of Moody, Texas, placed third with 33-13. After placing sixth on Day 1 with 18-02, Hargrove added 15-11.

Hargrove said his first-round action followed perfectly with what he had found in practice, but Day 2 brought frustration.

“Yesterday, I didn’t lose any fish that would have helped me and everything went like it was supposed to,” he said. “Today, I lost (two good fish) that broke my line under a dock. That’s how my day started.”

After running a few more spots, Hargrove got his day turned around when a 4 1/4-pounder bit his dropshot and made it into the livewell. After that, Hargrove scratched up four more keepers to fill his limit.
Hargrove caught three of his bass on a dropshot with a Roboworm in the morning dawn color. The other two bit a 1/2-ounce finesse jig with a Zoom Speed Craw trailer.

Bassmaster Elite Series pro Luke Palmer of Coalgate, Okla., tied Darold Gleason of Many, La., for the lead in the big bass standings with a 6-05.

Sunday’s takeoff is scheduled for 7 a.m. CT at Public Beach #2 in Osage Beach with weigh-in back at the launch site at 3:15 p.m.

Here are the totals for the 10 anglers who advanced to the final day:

1. Jamie Bruce: 35-06
2. Kyle Patrick: 35-05
3. Andrew Hargrove: 33-13
4. JT Thompkins: 33-05
5. Andy Newcomb: 33-04
6. Tyler Williams: 33-02
7. Robert Gee: 32-11
8. John Garrett: 31-12
9. Brad Jelinek: 31-11
10. Daisuke Kita: 31-10

Latest News

  • Becker Bolts To Early Lead In Group A

    Becker Bolts To Early Lead In Group A

    By MLF Communications Staff

    CLARENDON COUNTY, S.C. – Reigning MLF Bass Pro Tour Angler of the Year (AOY) Matt Becker of Ten Mile, Tennessee, boated 12

  • Prespawn Tactics Should Prevail At Santee

    Prespawn Tactics Should Prevail At Santee

    By MLF Communications Staff

    CLARENDON COUNTY, S.C. – The Major League Fishing Bass Pro Tour is set to visit Clarendon County in South Carolina this week

  • Kindy Posts Home-Lake Win At Ouachita

    Kindy Posts Home-Lake Win At Ouachita

    By B.A.S.S. Communications Staff

    HOT SPRINGS, Ark. — Jeremiah Kindy has fished for bass on Lake Ouachita since he could walk. In fact, he caught his first

Video You May Like